Over the past few months we have been gathering feedback from members via questionnaires, surveys and conversations in an attempt to understand how we can improve the way we operate the roll-ups.
Currently ladies play on a Tuesday, seniors (Wayfarers) on a Wednesday and we introduced a weekend roll up from November which is still in its infancy. We are currently experiencing a number of issues we’d like to address:
- The ladies’ roll-up is poorly attended
- A number of ladies have expressed a desire to have the roll up on a Wednesday
- Numbers for the senior roll-up are dwindling and generally poorly attended, however weather is certainly a determining factor
- There are a significant number of members that are eligible but perhaps not included within these roll-up social circles
We believe that one of the main causes for low attendance in both groups is due to a number of break-off swindles being formed on alternative days at alternative times. We also believe they are missing an opportunity for these roll-ups to be inclusive to all members.
A questionnaire to the ladies revealed that 70% of the respondents preferred to play a roll-up on a Wednesday. Equally the men suggested an alternative day would be welcomed. We are proud of the fact we are a unified club, with one committee, past lady captains and mixed competitions. With this in mind, starting Tuesday 6 February we would like to trial the following:
- Tuesday: A staggered club roll-up available to all members. Tee times from 8-8.30am, 9-9.30am and 10-10.30am
- Wednesday: A staggered club roll-up available to all members. Tee times from 8-8.30am, 9-9.30am and 10-10.30am
- Prizes: The Pro Shop will sponsor a small prize each week on a Tuesday and Wednesday for a nearest the pin challenge
Tee times will be on one course and registration will be in the Pro Shop with a committee member on site to help coordinate. You are more than welcome to play in your prearranged groups or with your preferred playing partners, however we expect all groups to be fourballs. If you are not a fourball, we kindly ask you cooperate with the Pro Shop team and your fellow members by forming as one.
I appreciate these changes may not please everyone but they come with the best intentions. We believe they will increase opportunity for engagement amongst golf members, increasing the level of support for future roll-ups and events, ultimately maximising enjoyment. These changes will be reviewed after a significant trial period, and further changes may be necessary to ensure the process is the best it can be. We appreciate your support, cooperation and feedback in making this a success.
Director of Golf